He’s the guy who can grant amateur radio operators in Ontario a permanent exemption from the distracted driving legislation contained in Bill 118. Our current time-limited exemption ends January 2013.
That’s one year and two months from now.
Back in May of this year I published a post asking for Ontario hams to support north/east Ontario RAC director Bill Unger, VE3XT’s efforts to lobby the provincial government.
In August of this year I published another post this one proclaiming that RAC under Bill Unger’s direction was launching a “task force” to take on Bill 118 and secure a permanent exemption for us.
So where are we now?
I have no idea. I do know we have a new minister. I do know that RAC says it’s got a “task force.”
What I don’t see is any action.
What would action look like?
- Meet with the new minister right now! Next week wouldn’t be too soon.
- Bring supporting documentation from other jurisdictions that have granted exemptions to their Amateur Radio communities.
- Bring letters of support from Ontario organizations (and municipal governments) which we’ve helped.
- Start contacting Ontario MPPs in person (here’s a job for the task force) and presenting them with the same information as being given to the minister.
- Remember to dress up. Shower. Leave the call sign ball cap at home and read How to Win Friends and Influence People.